Re: Removing sun visor

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 18:38:17 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> "Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>
>>Just wondering how much fun I'm in for, and what I can do to make it easier to
>>re-install.
>

> Like Bob mentioned, you will need to disconnect the wiring,
> depending on how that was originally done, that might be interesting.
> You may end up cutting it, in which case you might want to use some
> quick disconnects to wire it back together to make future uninstalls
> easier. (Or wire nuts are probably just as good.)
>
> Depending on the condition and quality of the screws, I might be
> concerned about them being rusted into place or turning into powdered
> metal when you try to remove them.
>
> When you remove the visor, you may want to put some little pieces
> of duct tape or something over the holes, just so the weather won't
> get in before you have a chance to reinstall the visor. It would
> probably be a good idea to pick up some more sealant just so you're
> ready. The auto parts store may have something designed specifically
> for trim/weatherstrip type sealing, but if not, some RTV type stuff
> will probably do the trick. If it were me, I'd look for a type of RTV
> which is non-hardening so it will remain pliable. New screws might be
> in order, depending on the condition of the existing ones, and if you
> do need to buy new screws, you might as well get stainless. If you
> want to go a bit overboard, perhaps some o rings for around the
> screws. I'd squirt a dollop of RTV into the hole, then thread the
> screw partway in (with an o-ring should you so desire), then when the
> screw is about halfway in, a little more RTV around the body of the
> screw, right against the sheet metal, then tighten it down.
> (Actually, I suppose if you use a big enough blob before you put the
> screw in, that should be sufficient - just so some RTV stays on top of
> the hole when the screw goes in and then gets compressed between the
> body and the visor.)
>
> Sorry to hear that you need a new windshield! There's always
> something. :-P Is there an interesting story behind this
> development? :-)

One other thing you could do - is to just remove the light bulb sockets
from the visor... not mess with any of the wiring. And this would be a
good time to replace the burnt out bulbs in those clearence lights Jason
:D ehehe... AutoZone sells Amber LED replacements for 194 bulbs!

The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj
An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine