Neon problems, and Milky sludge on PCV Valve

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 18:34:44 EDT

ok - found something on the Neon I dont like. It resembles the stuff
everyone was finding built up on the underside of the oil filler cap on
teh 4.7's - however, and keep in mind this might be my inagination
running wild... it seems to have a slightly greenish tint to it.

Its a gunky build up on the PCV valve and the breather nipple on the top
of the valve cover. When I changed the head I reinstalled the PCV valve
a little differently. I put it in-line with the hose running from the
intake manifold to the valve cover. its located a few inched off the
top of the valve cover, not down by the manifold port. This was just
because it was easier.

I suspect I might have an internal coolant leak... head gasket perhaps.
  I've noticed over the last couple of months the engine has been very
anemic and lacking power. I am going to pull the plugs to see what
condition they are in. They are about 2 years old and were put in with
the replacement head in Feb 06. About 16K miles on them.

Anyway - I'm wondering if anyone else had noticed that kind of gunk on
the PCV valve on their neon 2.0 SOHC... or if this really is an
indicator the engine is going bad. As it is I suspect problems... the
motor is really noisy now. Clattering and I have not determined if its
lash adjusters gone bad, or if its piston slap or whatever. Its over
100K miles, on its 3rd cyl head, both previous were subjected to having
pistons hammer the valves... fuel economy in town is down... mid to low
20s...

I think I asked this of our Neon owners before when the head blew
before... I noticed that the neon engine interchange from salvage yards
seems to stop around 99? I think jiving with the body style change. Is
there any reason why a newer Neon 2.0 won't bolt up to my 96 chassis?
The car is still worth fixing if you ask me. I've been stockpiling
parts for a rebuild... but I'm weary of the engine and I want to take it
on the highway this summer. Unless gas prices drop, I'll be attending
the BBQ with the Neon.

The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj
An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine