Tranny pan gasket woes.........

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2008 - 13:11:07 EDT

First off, let me say thanks to those that replied to my post on 2/4 drop kits.

Second, i have a short story:

<> 11 months ago I had the 46RH tranny serviced. I bought the WIX 58707 filter which
comes with a simple gasket made of compressed recycled rubber bits ( looks like cork ).
Plus I bought 6 qts of Valvoline ATF+4. I had my mechanic do the work 'cause I had
family obligations that weekend.

<> 8 days ago, I noticed a tranny leak. I wiped it down real clean and looked again
after driving for 45 min. The fluid is coming from the gasket. Specifically, its
coming from front/right corner of the pan/case mating surfaces.

<> 4 days ago, I went back to my mechanic but this time I had in hand a WIX filter and
**FEL-PRO gasket** . I asked him to replace the filter & fluid and use the FEL-PRO
gasket. I picked up the truck and it seemed as though the leak was fixed.

<> Today, this morning actually, I noticed some leaked fluid again. About 2 - 4 tbs.
And the leak is from the same front/right corner of the pan/case mating surface.

It also dawns on me that mainly this leaking is occurring at night in the cool weather.
In the day, after driving the truck, it never leaks. I come out of work at 5pm and
look under the truck, there are no drips, no wet spots on the ground. Nothing. But
when I look under the truck at 8am in the morning, there could be 4 to 8 tbs. of fluid
on the ground. :(

So here's my Question:

Can the case be cracked near the pan holes? Or is this just one of those situation
where we need to resort to RTV on the pan mating surfaces.

( Info: this tranny is a reman unit, with 37,000 miles on it. Its been perfect up
until now. I am thoroughly please with the performance on the street and the strip. )

Any words of wisdom on the pan situation would be appreciated.

-dan

Dan K.

Vehicle: 1992 Dakota Club Cab LE Color: Two-tone silver Engine: 5.2L EFI
Mods: Home-brew CAI, March Performance pulley set, K&N Filters, 180* T-stat, relocated IAT, DynoMax Super Turbo Exhaust Kit, Hi-Flow Cat, Autolite plugs & wires, Gates hoses & belts.
Photo: http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg
Whats Next: Mopar Performance PCM, 3.91 rear gear with LSD, electric fan, KYB shocks, re-paint body, 2/4 drop kit.

Be a better friend, newshound, and