Re: Voltage gauge antics

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 20:57:32 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but here goes... the volt meter on
> my '95 has gotten much more sensitive to anything electrical switching on or
> off. I can watch the voltage jump up and down with the turn signal flashers.
> Turning the lights on instantly drops the voltage, as does turning on the
> brights, even stepping on the brakes. And so on. No problem starting, and no
> actual electrical problems noticed. It behaves the same with the engine
> running or turned off. It's still in the middle of the normal range on the
> gauge, it's just that the needle bounces more than I remember noticing before.
> I checked the 2001 and it doesn't happen there.
>
> I haven't had a chance to fool around with the voltmeter yet to see what's
> really happening. Just thought I'd send off a quick post to see if anyone
> might already know what it could be. Battery, alternator, voltage regulator,
> or just the gauge, any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

hmm - the stock voltmeter in Christine (well - its not stock anymore,
I'm on my 3rd instrument cluster) is from a Gen II - and even the
original units, displayed similar characteristics... I'm not sure its
anything to be worried about... its possible it could be a sign that the
alternator is getting weak... ground issue too, perhaps.

The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj
An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine