Electrical PITA

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 11:42:49 EDT

Fellow DMLers, I need help diagnosing this one. I got in my truck last
night and turned the key. One click (ON) and the dummy lights come on
as they should. One more click (START) and everything goes dead. Not
even a starter click. The dummy lights shut off. No electrical power
to ANYTHING. So my first though: I blew a fuse or fusible link. But
first, I open the hood and jostle the battery cables. I hear an
electronic whine (something started back up - maybe the radio). I get
back in the truck, turn the key ON and I've got dummy lights again.
Turn to START and it goes *CLICK* and everything shuts off again.
Repeat jostling of battery & cables... I get power again. Repeat key
to START position, a brief starter noise, and *CLICK* everything's off
again. A few more tries and suddenly it fires right up like nothing
ever happened. Runs fine, no problems. This morning I had to go
through the whole procedure again, but once started it stays running.
What could cause this?? Starter relay? Thoughts? It's a 1994 Dak for
this purpose... only the body is an 89.

TIA!

Don in CT
89/94 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4