Re: RE: Re: Firewall Coolant Leak

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 21:43:01 EDT

> Well I got an estimate today. $900.00 for the heater
> core and they also
> recommended doing the evaporator for another
> $300.00.

Get another estimate. Mine in my 98 went bad a month
or so ago. If the heater core is leaking, it will
usually leak inside the cab as most of the core is
under the dash. Only the nipples that the hoses attach
to stick thru the fire wall. I bypassed mine back in
early March. Its a little chilly at times, especially
here in Northern California. The lowest estimate I got
was @ $400 plus parts including evac'ing and
recharging the AC. The highest I got was $650 for the
same thing. One shop told me $75/hour, however long it
takes. I told him unless he could assure me it would
take longer then 9 hours he could forget it. He told
me the last Ford he did took him 15 hours. I walked
away. Everyone knows Ford are way easier then Dodges
to work on :)

Ray