Re: Mileage

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 18:11:28 EDT

On Wed, May 14, 2008 5:49 pm, knox.james@sympatico.ca said:

> We are paying $5.00 and above for the equivilent quantity in Canada.

To be fair, it's currently $1.25 per liter around Toronto, which is $4.73 per
US gallon (US gallons are only 3.78 liters). To get it over $5 per gallon you
have to use Imperial gallons (as of today anyway, next week it'll probably
jump again).

> Ethanol produced from corn is causing a food crisis

Turns out, not so much. The 11th paragraph is particularly interesting:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/361634_biodiesel03.html

"While biofuels do compete for food and cropland, experts said they're not the
primary problem when it comes to soaring food prices and global food
shortages. A spate of weather-related disasters -- droughts in Australia and
Russia, frost in the Midwest, torrential summer rains in Europe -- made a mess
of crops over the past year. Rising incomes in China and India mean many more
people are eating higher on the food chain, sending more crops to feedlots to
grow beef and pork. High prices for fuel and fertilizer also contribute to the
food woes."

I'm as angry as anyone, but let's try to direct our anger to the right places
as much as possible.