Re: Mileage

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 21:53:25 EDT

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 5:49 pm, knox.james@sympatico.ca said:
>>
>> We are paying $5.00 and above for the equivilent quantity in Canada.
>
> To be fair, it's currently $1.25 per liter around Toronto, which is $4.73 per
> US gallon (US gallons are only 3.78 liters). To get it over $5 per gallon you
> have to use Imperial gallons (as of today anyway, next week it'll probably
> jump again).
>
>> Ethanol produced from corn is causing a food crisis
>
> Turns out, not so much. The 11th paragraph is particularly interesting:
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/361634_biodiesel03.html
>
> "While biofuels do compete for food and cropland, experts said they're not the
> primary problem when it comes to soaring food prices and global food
> shortages."

Don't forget a very, very important crop - HOPS.

Hops farmers have had some rough growing seasons the last year or two,
and many have switched from hops to corn in part due to that and in
part because they can get more money for corn now.

Some microbrewers have been having a very, very hard time over the
past year as a result.

Won't someone please think of the brewers?