Re: RE: OT: 06 Caravan problem

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 11:15:41 EDT

--- "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org> wrote:

> Check for codes in the door module. Either you have
> a pinched/cut harness,
> hall effect switch in the lower gear is bad, or
> (most common cause) it's a
> bad latch ("Pawl Failure").
>
> - Bernd

Thanks Bernd. Can you tell me how to check for codes
in the door module? Only code reader I have is a
little hand held scanner that I think only checks
engine codes. I looked at the harness, the little
chain looking track seems to be ok, the wiring harness
on the door motor (?) looks to be ok all the way back
to the plug. The plug appears to be slightly loose
from the mounting point on the door.

When you hit the button to open the door, it opens and
move back about and inch then stops as if it hit
something and jammed. My Father-in-Law said he had
dropped some dry dog food in the back of the van and
he thought some might have gotten in the track. My
step daughter cleaned it all out and when I looked at
it last night there was nothing in the track area that
looked like it would jam anything and the door itself
slid free.

Can the door codes tell me which problem is causing
the malfunction? And how hard is it to change out the
hall effect switch and the door latch?

I'm going over to his house now to change some tire
for him and I'll take another look at the wiring
harness.

Thanks for all your help Bernd. I know I'm really glad
your a regular member of the DML Family!

Ray