RE: Gen III QC fuel pump replacement - lessons learned part 2 of 2

From: vic (IB4x4@satx.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2008 - 22:41:34 EDT

1. Don't remove the bed in an attempt to avoid dropping the tank. The pump
is located under the cab.

2. Airtex E7128MN from RockAuto is a perfect match for the 2001 QC 4x4.
2a. don't give RockAuto your real phone number. Just after my order I
started getting some recorded message calling me that my vehicle warranty
was expiring and offered to sell me a warranty.

3. Both fuel supply line and electrical connections can be reached without
removing skid plates or lowering the tank. Disconnect them before lowering
the tank on disassembly and re-connect them after raising and strapping in
the tank on re-assembly.

4. The fuel supply line uses the two-tab quick-connect fitting (see figure
36 on page 23 of section 14 in your service manual), it was very hard for me
to remove and had about 4 rubber o-rings plus a couple of plastic spacers
inside the clip. The proper way to remove this fitting is to pinch the blue
collar on the fuel pump side of the connector. The o-rings nor the
quick-connect are available from the dealer as separate items. To get
replacements (if you damage/lose them like I did) for these items you need
to buy the fuel supply line that runs from the engine to the rear of the
truck (approx $40 from dealer), or get creative and find some replacements.

5. A large rubber strap wrench works well as a substitute for the special
tool specified in the service manual to remove the plastic retainer ring for
the fuel pump assembly.