Re: Automobile Magazine on future Dodge trucks

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 03:47:00 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> For those who haven't seen it yet...
> http://tinyurl.com/3rxeyl
>
> There's some stuff about the Dakota on the second page. It's depressing, but
> then again, name some piece of recent news that *isn't* depressing.
>
> I'm pretty sure we'll be replacing our '01 with a Ram when that time comes.
> We'll just have to enjoy this Dakota while we have it, because I have no
> desire to get a Dodge Ridgeline.

I'm not shocked that its not selling well compared to other trucks. (but
what trucks ARE selling well right now?) I have a bad feeling that its
on its way out. The trend lately it seems is that the car companies are
not continuing name plates for very long. Hell - forget name plates,
they aren't doing evolutionary designs for the most part. Everything is
getting totally redesigned every couple of years. If you look at a
Camaro from 67 up to the last production car in 2002... you can see a
clear progression of designs.

Take the Durango and the Liberty for examples... both were drastically
redesigned atfer a short period of time... the Liberty had a grill
change once and that was it... Durango didnt even get that - it had one
body style - then it became a totally different vehical.

The Legacy that Daimler left was nothing but a disaster. They farted
around and mucked up designs and left Chrysler worse off than when they
took them over. Because of this, its possible that current Chrysler
brass will see the Dakota a long in the tooth and think its time to put
it out to pasture. Rather than take a chance on a 3rd redesign and risk
a poor reaction.

I hope Bob Eaton rots in hell for trashing Chrysler and selling out to
Daimler.

>As for my '95, I might replace that with a
> moped. Or a horse if things continue at this rate. Gas is supposed
>to be $5.19 a gallon here tomorrow. Whee!

Well I hesitate to even talk about fuel prices because every time
someone brings the topic up it usually turns into a flame way fanned by
political fuel. However... it just hit me tonight when I was the gas
stations changed to $4.09.9 a gallon for 87 octane.

We ARE in the middle of an energy crisis. We may not have lines around
the block at gas stations and gas rationing... but we are in a crisis.
Or perhaps "turning point" may be a better choice of words.

Adjusting for inflation and all that good stuff - I'm hearing that the
cost to joe-schmoe to full up his car is now higher than its ever been.
4.09.9 a gallon is a bargan compared to some places in the country...
and I've seen $5.00+ in places like Califorina and Alaska... lets not
even talk about diesel fuel costs...

For whatever reasons a person wants to point to for the cause of all
this - the fact remains that we're not likely to see fuel costs become
more affordable. Its more likely going to be expensive from now on...
and I think we as a society have to start accepting that and making
smart choices.

TerribleTom! New and improved for 2008! Twice As TERRIBLE!
Twice as INSANE! Now with Kung Foo Grip! *batteries not included*
The Mopar Enthusiasts Crunch Team http://tinyurl.com/32g3qj