RE: Do LSDs work in reverse?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 00:14:43 EDT

Yes, they work both ways.

Although, reverse to forward gear "drops" (for smoking the tires really good
or getting unstuck offroad) are very detrimental to the clutch retainers.
They break and cause all sorts of issues with the ring gear, pinion gear,
bearings, and sometimes even the case (hard "clunks" or chatter on turns are
normally the sign of a broken clutch retainer). I replace more diffs (case,
ring/pinion) due to this...especially on the 9.25's.

- Bernd