RE: Sidewall cracks (was: i might be a Dodge owner again!!!)

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 15:58:17 EDT

Hey Jon,

Sidewall cracking as you describe is fairly common and is usually the result of heat/sun exposure when the tire is stationary.
For whatever reason, normal heating of the carcass of the tire when the vehicle is in motion is much more normal and acceptable to the longevity of the tire.
If the cracking is just in the surface layers of the rubber on the sidewall, or tread for that matter, it's not a big deal.
If those cracks are getting bigger, and noticebly starting to penetrate to the deeper layers of th tire, junk them.
They may last quite a while, or they may fail and blow out on you while you're pulling a trailer doing 70.

The way i gauge how deep the cracking is, if the rubber that is cracking feels/looks about as thick as a sheet or 2 of psper, no worries.
If the rubber is thicker than heavy construction paper, i'd look at dumping those tires.

The Adam Blaster
Two words, figure it out.....