Sidewall cracks (was: i might be a Dodge owner again!!!)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 00:40:27 EDT

   Congrats on the new purchase! :-)

"Mr. Plow" <adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com> wrote:
> LOL Well, i sell tires all day long, so i could easily convince him
> that t etires were unsafe by the date-stamp on the sidewall.
> Unfortunately, the tires look pretty darn good with no sideall or
> tread cracking or anything. Plus, i can get tires so cheap through
> work, that issue isn't a concern to me. ;)

    Sorry to hijack your thread, but you just reminded me of something
I have been meaning to ask for a while. :-) Speaking of sidewall
cracking, at what point should I start to worry about that? My Ram
3500 has cracks that basically form rings all the way around the tires
on the sidewall, mostly near the bead area; some of them seem quite
large. I assume they are the original tires, in which case they are
only 7 years old or so, they started out small and seem to be getting
bigger. It was a Florida/Georgia truck, so I don't know if there was
any dry rotting at play there or not. Maybe if you get a moment at
the BBQ, I can bug you to take a gander at them and let me know what
you think. :-) (Or I suppose I could snap a digital photo.)

--
                                          -Jon-