Re: BBQ and NE/eastern NY convoy potential

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 13:33:12 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Yeah, Certified Instructor, Certified Range Officer, Match Director...
>

> Cool. :-)
>

>>Jon, if you are standing in your barn, looking toward the runway, how
>>far is it to the drop-off and what is in line afterward?
>

> Somewhere between 2400-2500 feet. There is another property behind
> there with a house on it. I believe there is a hill between the
> ravine and the house, but I would have to take a look at the layout.
> I suspect that unless we could use the wall of the ravine itself as a
> backstop, it may not be useable since we can't guarantee that there
> isn't somebody hiking on the other side of the ravine or something.
> (And of course, a high shot may be a problem?) You may be able to get
> a decent idea of the layout from google maps, here's the barn as a
> starting point: http://tinyurl.com/5prn8q
>
> I assume you're thinking along the lines of a long distance
> dedication? :-) If so, how much space do you need? There might
> be some other possibilities I could check out.

800 yards? I didn't remember it being that far. That is alot, more
than enough for casual shooting. If I remember correctly, it is dead
flat out to the end where it drops off.. More to the point, it seems
like if you were motivated with the tractor, you could probably clear
tuck outs at 100 and 200 or so from the end of the barn:
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff153/barrysuperhawk/Gunz/?action=view¤t=Jon.jpg
unless your property ends on that line next to your runway...

If you were to shoot the length of the runway, as long as you were on
the hill shooting down, you wouldn't need much of a berm, as long as the
angle of the bullet strike is between 50 and 90 degrees. An acceptable
berm can be built of RR ties with a sandbag topper fairly easily. Out
to 800 yards, your berm would still need to be 10-12 feet high, but at
shorter ranges, it could be less.