Re: Out of state registrations

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 19:12:13 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Oh, one thing I meant to mention in my last reply but forgot, the
> vehicle registration fees in MT seem to be based on the value of the
> vehicle, and there would be an annual fee there, but from what I have
> seen, it looks as though if a vehicle is 11 years old or older, you
> can get a "permanent" registration, so you just pay the registration
> fee once, and the registration is good for as long as you own the
> vehicle, no renewals necessary. Most of my vehicles fall into that
> category, so between one registration for life, no annual
> safety/emissions inspections, and no sales tax when purchasing a new
> vehicle, there is definitely the potential for savings. I just need
> to see if the initial LLC cost (and the annual LLC renewal fees of
> $100-200) can be low enough to be offset by the savings, and
> especially I still need to see if I can legally do this with the
> vehicles garaged in NY.

Here's another twist. What about "residence"? I am close to trying to
switch my state of residence to MO from IL. If I buy into a Property
management outfit, I will have a legal residence to refer to, and that
is all it takes. The twist with the LLC is once they are registered to
the company, the company buys the insurance. Think of it if you formed
a vehicle collection llc... the possibilities are endless...