Re: Ball Joints & rotors

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 14:07:48 EDT

I'm with Jon in that I'm also a self-described cheapskate. I only took
rotors in to be turned once in my life, and they sent me away because
the rotors were below spec. Well, this was on my Dart, which gets
<2000 miles/year of drive time, and 5 years later I'm still using the
same rotors (and pads, which I replaced at that time). They have
plenty of meat left and are in no danger of falling apart.

Niether of my cars has ABS, and I'm not using particularly sticky
tires. So the tires' hold on the road will always be the greatest
factor in my stopping distance. If I need to stop fast and I slam the
brakes, the wheels will lock up. At that point, it doesn't matter what
shape the rotors are.

I put my current rotors on shortly before the 06 Daktoberfest. When I
got back home afterwards, I took a look and found some of the biggest
grooves I'd ever seen on my vehicles (I imagine the result of foriegn
objects. see also: stiegermud). With the "roads" I drive, if I have to
turn my rotors every time I have grooves, I'll go broke. And I should
probably keep a spare set to rotate in and limit down-time!

Don in CT
89 Dak Vert 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340