Re: Ball Joints & rotors

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Aug 13 2008 - 17:51:38 EDT

"Don Rey" <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm with Jon in that I'm also a self-described cheapskate. I only took
> rotors in to be turned once in my life, and they sent me away because
> the rotors were below spec. Well, this was on my Dart, which gets
> <2000 miles/year of drive time, and 5 years later I'm still using the
> same rotors (and pads, which I replaced at that time). They have
> plenty of meat left and are in no danger of falling apart.

   Exactly. :-) Thanks, Don; cheapskates unite! I hope my earlier
post didn't give the impression that I'm doing anything unsafe - if
there was any question in my mind as to the capabilities or safety of
the rotors, I'd swap 'em out in a heartbeat. I have a feeling though
that when most folks are told their rotors are shot and/or need to be
turned, there is a heck of a lot of life left in 'em. Possibly it is
due to being overly cautious, but I suspect that a larger incentive
for the shop is the extra money they can make by selling a new set of
rotors or turning the existing ones (wether they need it or not), or
selling rotor "turning" to an unsuspecting dupe where the carbide
never touches the steel and the only thing they've physically turned
is a tidy profit. (On a related note, that last method of turning
also greatly lengthens the life of your lathe tooling.) ;-)

> I put my current rotors on shortly before the 06 Daktoberfest. When I
> got back home afterwards, I took a look and found some of the biggest
> grooves I'd ever seen on my vehicles (I imagine the result of foriegn
> objects. see also: stiegermud).

   Hehehe! You're welcome. :-) Just tell people that you've got
extrudehoned brake rotors. ;-) ("These are speed grooves; they make
it go faster.") Perhaps I should start billing BBQ participants for
the heretofore free rotor slotting service? ;-)

> With the "roads" I drive, if I have to
> turn my rotors every time I have grooves, I'll go broke. And I should
> probably keep a spare set to rotate in and limit down-time!

   A little drywall spackle will take those grooves right out. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-