Off Topic: 93 Jeep GC Laredo

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 00:05:07 EDT

OK mechanical gurus, I need some info and guidance and I need it rather quickly. My daughter has a 93 Jeep GC Laredo, 318, auto, full time 4X4. It appears the drivers front CV half shaft is bad. I can see some grease or fluid of some kind that has leaked on the outside of the CV boot. She has told me there have been a couple instances where the vehicle started making funny noises and shaking rather badly when turning left.

Now she is convinced the half shaft is bad and I strongly suspect she is correct. The vehicle has over 190K on it and its her only means of transportation. She also can't afford to replace it just now. So it seems I'm going to be pressed into opening Dad's Shadetree Auto Service AGAIN. I just changed her oil and greased the front end about a month ago.

I've never had to tear into the front end of any car with CV shafts. I've had conventional 4X4 front ends apart to replace u-joints and repack wheel bearings some many times before, I could probably do it in my sleep. My questions are thus:

1) Do I need any special tools to tear the CV shaft out of the truck?

2) How hard is it to do?

3) How do the half shaft come out of the front diff?

4) About how long should it take me to do in my driveway with normal handtools, floor jack and jackstands?

Thanks a bunch in advance for any info y'all can provide.

Ray