Re: yahoo

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 12:24:34 EDT

Phillip Batson <pbatson68@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyone else getting intermittent problems with the list and yahoo? I
> seem to have a lot of posts not show up, or show up late. So there
> will be replies to posts that haven't shown up in my email, then
> later in the day, the original post will show up. It's really weird.

   For some reason, Yahoo seems to have taken a relatively recent
dislike to the DML; their mail servers are delaying/deferring DML
mail. I've taken a couple of steps to try to figure out why, and have
just contacted them again. The only thing I can think of was the list
was somewhat "dirty" before - that is, there were several yahoo users
who had signed up to the list and then closed (or lost) their
accounts, but the list was still trying to send mail to them, so there
were a lot of bounces from that. I've recently set up a system to get
rid of bouncing addresses, and have cleaned all bouncing addresses off
the list. It might be that the many bounces in the past have
"deprioritized" the DML. If that was it, hopefully the service will
become more regular for Yahoo users soon. Its definitely still
screwed up right now though; I've e-mailed Yahoo about it, hopefully
they will have something useful to tell me.

   Another possibility is that Yahoo users have flagged DML mail as
spam. This is a problem that happens with AOL every now and again.
People will sign onto the list and then they are too stupid to
unsubscribe when they don't want it anymore, they just flag the
incoming DML mail as spam, which downgrades the ability of the list to
deliver to AOL users. (Basically, because one dummy flags messages as
spam, AOL suddenly refuses to deliver DML mail to ANY AOL users.) I
am set up with AOL to get a report when one of their users flags a DML
message as spam. When I initially set that up, I thought it would be
helpful since if somebody marks the DML as spam, I can just
unsubscribe them, and we are both happy, but idiot AOL masks the
e-mail address of the user who reported it, which makes it a bit
difficult for me to solve the problem, unless I just unsubscribe ALL
AOL users. ;-) Anyhoo, sorry to vent, that's just another problem
I'm working on, possibly the same thing might be happening for the
Yahoo issue, but I don't get reports from Yahoo if their users flag a
post as SPAM, so I can't be sure about that.

   If the problem annoys you, it might not hurt to complain to Yahoo
about it. Maybe complaints from one of their own users might help to
get this bottleneck removed quicker. (That's just a guess though, I
don't know that for sure.)

--
                                          -Jon-