Re: Dual Alternators

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 11:47:50 EDT

On Sunday 21 September 2008 09:11 am, Terrible Tom wrote:
> The goal is to have plenty of amperage capability. And a backup is a
> good idea too... I've looked around and for the cost of a single 160A
> MSD alternator... I can easily do dual 136A units for 272 rated amps.
>
> My 4 KC's alone draw almost 35 amps. Throw in a snow plow, a winch, some
> more auxillary lighting, and perhaps a few other things... and your amp
> requirements climb.

If it were me, I'd be tempted at this point to build separate systems. Leave
your regular alternator powering the truck and it's running requirements. Put
all of this other stuff (lights, plow, winch) on an auxiliary system powered
by its own alternator. Maybe if you want to have a "backup" capability,
design in a way to power the truck off the auxiliary system with a switch, so
that if the primary dies somehow you can still drive it home.

You might need to run more cable to do this, to keep the systems isolated. But
it seems to me that you'd be better off this way.