Re: Dual Alternators

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 10:11:09 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2008, at 6:48 PM, Terrible Tom wrote:
>

>> Ok - I've been brushing up on my alternator tech - and as far as I
>> can tell, it shouldnt be too hard to rig up a 2nd alternator (aside
>> from the mounting fabrication) My question is, does anyone think the
>> PCM would have any problem regulating the voltage of two alternators?
>> From what I remember, the regulator simply monitors voltage,
>> adjusting to compensate for battery charge levels. It would simply be
>> working two regulators in tandem right?
>

> What's your goal? Backup alt? Onboard welder?

The goal is to have plenty of amperage capability. And a backup is a
good idea too... I've looked around and for the cost of a single 160A
MSD alternator... I can easily do dual 136A units for 272 rated amps.

My 4 KC's alone draw almost 35 amps. Throw in a snow plow, a winch, some
more auxillary lighting, and perhaps a few other things... and your amp
requirements climb. I've drawn down an optima battery while plowing
snow more than once - and had to let the truck idle to recharge before
finishing a plow job. I think that was with the original 1989, 120 amp
factory chrysler unit too. Base alternator is 90 amps - which is what I
have on there now off the 95 Dak.

> I would run an external regulator on the secondary alternator. Even
> with two "identical" alternators the output may vary slightly for a
> given field coil voltage, and the resistance and load of that field
> coil circuit would be thrown way off. Charging a dead battery you
> could potentially be drawing 5a on each field coil and doubling draw on
> anything through the ECU is a gamble I wouldn't come anywhere near.

Yeah I had thought about that - that was the reason I was worried about
running it through the PCM. An external reg is easy enough to add into
the system. I did like the thought of adding in that 160 amp MSD unit,
which is offered in a single wire/self exciting version. That coupled
with a stock chrysler 136 amp unit from a 97 Ram... would be niiiiice
indeed.

The white zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only...