Re: Dual Alternators

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 20:33:17 EDT

> to hook two 12v batteries up in series (Battery A + to Battery B
> -) such that you get 24v by hooking your winch to Battery A - and
> Battery B +, but charge them individually with your 12v
> alternator(s).

> I have a feeling the cost/complexity of a fully automated system
> would probably not be worthwhile

If you just wanted it to be remote (IE switched from the drivers
seat, but not automatic), you would need a few relays and one or
more switches. Small EV relays can be a good place to look. They
can be overkill, since they are designed to handle much more than
24V, but many should easily handle the current. I wouldn't want to
get into the nitty gritty w/o know it was definitely needed, and
even then i'd have to do some searching.

For my charging relay, i had access to some scrapped relays that
couldn't be sold, but were way overkill for my needs, so they were
free.

Eric