Re: Tires

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2008 - 02:08:49 EDT

> do all 4; the fronts provide all of your steering and most of your
> braking, so from a safety standpoint, if you had to get only 2
> winter tires, you're technically better off putting them on the
> front... You may not get any traction, but at least you can
> steer and stop. :-)

That's what I always thought, but I have seen in more than one
place that you should do the rears 1st. The reason (as told by
the tire manufacturer pamphlet) is that if you have some trouble
up front, you're unlikely to have *no* traction, so you will still
be able to correct skids. If you lose traction in the back, it's a
lot harder to correct for.

I'm certainly open to ideas, but this did make sense to me. Maybe
in very slippery (ie snow and ice) conditions, it's different.
When I lived in snows-ville, we always had all four tires the same,
so i never experienced a mismatch. I never really lost control,
either.