Need Computer Help This Time

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 22:03:52 EST

Ok gang - I'm in need of some computer help for a change...

Custom built Linux Crunchbox (SETI) is giving me all sorts of headaches.

heres the build sheet

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz CPU

Gigabyte GA-EPUD3R Socket 775, motherboard - flashed with most up to
date BIOS

Corsair Dominator 2GB (2x1GB) 240 pin DDR2 1066 (PC2-8500) Dual Channel RAM

Corsair 620W ATX Modular PSU

Western Digital Caviar 250 GB SATA HDD

EVGA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 128bit PCIe 2.0 video card

Zalman CNPS 9700 110mm CPU cooler

Running Ubuntu Intrepid 8.1

Difficulty from the start!! I tried to load Ubunty 7.1 (Gutsy) - the
version I have on my other custom Linux crunchboxes... BIOS recognized
the HDD and videocard - UBuntu would not. When I burned the 8.1 ISO and
loaded that one - it recognized the drive and installed.

All free and clear so I thought... well not quite. This Quad Core CPU
supports CPU frequency scaling - set at 2.0 GHz - it runs fine all
day... set at 2.83 Ghz - after a certain amount of time - - could be
half hour - could be 3 hours, it will freeze.

So far here is what I have done to trouble shoot. I've run a memory
test - seemed to be OK... I've switched the RAM sticks between the two
banks, no change - tried running one stick, vs two.. no change. BIOS
was flashed - running current F4 version.

I've disabled the 4 instances of cpufreq_applet - no change, I've set
the frequency manually in command line - still no change...

I do extensive compatibility research before buying parts for a new
build. The mainboard, CPU, and RAM I selected are all supposed to work
together with no problems according Gigabyte's web site.

Ubuntu system is current with its updates.

CPU core temps are 44-47C at full load... about 35C at idle...

BIOS settings are in Failsafe, no overclocking yet

I'm wondering if I have some hardware failure that I'm not able to
detect? Should I try a different Linux Distro? This one is a 32 bit
SMP kernel version - so it shouldnt have problems with the quad core...

Only flakey thing with this one seems to be that I cant renice a process
from the system manager utility. had to do it from terminal... which
worked.

Also keep in mind I'm still weak on linux... I've been getting help from
at least 3 people with this stuff heh... I'm learning but slowly.

I'm open to any and all opinions, suggestions, comments, questions,
etc... what am I overlooking??

I've gotta get this box straightend out and quickly, because I've only
got so much time to RMA back to newegg, any defective componants.

The white zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only...