Re: Jeep GC tailgate

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2008 - 00:01:27 EST

On Dec 19, 2008, at 9:47 PM, Barry Oliver wrote:

> My Dak tailgate doesent close properly and hasn't since I got the
> truck. It feels like a door that is only half latched most of the
> time. I have adjusted the pins and the locks, oiled the hell out of
> everything, cleaned everything, tride teflon, wax, light oil, heavy
> oil, grease and spooge to lube it up and nothing works... It is the
> way it is.
>

> Dustin Williams wrote:
>> Heck my Dakota tailgate doesn't want to close below freezing a few
>> hard slams works above 20F a few squirts of wd40 a few years ago
>> fixed
>> it for a few years probably time for another squirt. As for the GC
>> I'd
>> check for warping or signs of rubbing. Of course wd40 on the latch
>> wouldn't hurt.

Have you guys lubed the scissor mechanism behind the handle? Having
taken mine apart, that's where it WILL get sticky. Nothing in the
handle ever will and the latches are easy to lube.

primary symptom is the latches not resetting, and therefore being hard
to latch. slamming worked for mine for a while but eventually I had
to reset the latches by hand to get them to catch. there's a little
lever on them (faces up when the tailgate is open, should reset to the
rear of the truck by themselves after using the handle. if they
don't, move them yourself as a band-aide.

Mike
3 wheel drive Dak with a _really_ cool broken axle shaft