Re: Vehicle turns on by itself

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 01:27:16 EST

> This is on my wife's 97 Grand Cherokee but I hope someone may have
> some insight since there seems to be a lot of overlap here.
>
> When the battery voltage gets low, the vehicle turns on by itself.
> The lights come on, the HVAC, the center console, everything is just
> like the key was in and it was turned on. I can put the key in and
> try to start it, but there isn't enough juice, when I remove the key
> everything will stay on. This is a wonderful feature that completely
> drains your already low battery. Once the battery gets a good charge
> everything is fine. It has done this twice in the last year. Any
> thoughts?

First thought that comes to mind is the fact that intermittent
electrical issues are the hardest to troubleshoot. Unless you
intentionally drained your battery, which will shorten it's useful
life, it could take 5 years of trouble shooting to find the problem. A
short in the ignition switch or it's wiring would seem to be the most
logical, of course it seems really odd due to the fact that it's when
your battery doesn't even have the amps to crank the starter. I'd
start with checking for compromised wires somewhere between the
ignition switch and battery, of course odds are that it would be in
some ungodly difficult location to find and work in.