Re: Exhaust size question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 11:19:39 EST

Matt Beazer <teseract@enchantedbookstore.com> wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions for headers for a '92-96 318? The summit
> truck headers are cheap, they're only painted but I don't have road salt
> around here... I'm not sold on the "8-9 horsepower gains" claims for
> ceramic coated headers.

   Its been so long since I've purchased go-fast parts for my truck
that I haven't really kept up with who is making what these days and
where the best bang for the buck is to be found, but I've got a set of
JBA shorties on my truck which are ceramic coated. Unfortunately, the
coating started to discolor and such after a relatively short period
of time, but I never got around to trying to contact the company to do
something about it. I'm not even sure who that was now - I want to
say Airborn Coatings? IIRC, the headers were part of a DML group buy.

   I have heard good things about the tri-y design, such as Doug
Thorley / Mike Leech(sp?); I believe these were the headers sold by
Mopar Performance back in the day. All else being equal, I'd probably
lean towards a tri-y design myself.

   However, if you end up with a 1992 or 1993 truck, those exhaust
manifolds actually flow pretty well, so a set of headers won't benefit
you as much as they might on a '94+ truck. (There were some changes
in '94, and the exhaust manifolds got more restrictive.)

--
                                          -Jon-