Re: DML BBQ 2009?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 11:31:16 EST

David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2009 12:15 am, Dustin Williams wrote:

>> That's the temperature that one of the freezers we have at work is
>> usually at.....hmm...if I lived somewhere like that and had a freezer
>> failure rather than get dry ice we would just need to open up all the
>> doors ;).

> Last week at work, it was -25F outside, and we had an outage in our main
> machine room because of an air conditioner failure. The glycol was freezing
> in the outside piping to the A/C units on the roof. My suggestion of opening
> the doors and putting in a few fans wasn't well recieved, though.

   Heh! Yeah, I have thought for a long time now that there must be a
better way to do that, for those of us in the northern climates. Its
freezing outside, so we build a box (house) to keep us warm, then we
build another box (fridge/freezer) to keep our food cold. The only
reason it needs to be cooled down in the first place is because we
stuck the cold box inside of the warm box. It costs money to heat up
the big box and it costs money to cool down the little box. All the
while, there is a limitless amount of free, cold air mere feet away
from the fridge...

   I'm in the process of designing an office for myself down in the
shop, and part of the office will be an air conditioned server closet.
I haven't worked out all the details yet, but I definitely plan to run
ductwork through the wall of the building so that I can shut off the
A/C unit during the winter; once the outside temp drops below 50-60 F
or so, the only cooling energy required would be a fan to move the air.

--
                                          -Jon-