Re: Computer Based Garage Heat (was 09 BBQ)

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 00:22:28 EST

Dustin Williams wrote:

> Seven computers running in the insulated part of your garage would
> overheat the room, but you would have the same situation of having to
> open a window to cool it, the uninsulated portion would probably be
> warmed to somewhere above freezing, but would be too warm in the
> summer.

mm I'm not sure... there would be more heat loss in the garage than in my room. The garage has
a concrete slab floor - which tends to stay nice and cold, even in the summer. The overhead
door is insulated, but cold air still seeps in. If I were to guess, I would say it would stay
"warm" - not "overheated". But I don't know for sure. I don't even know if I am going to
give this another try this winter. I'm a little strapped for cash, and I'm not sure I want to
invest the money in whatever equipment is needed to finally get a Wifi signal out to the
garage, or deal with the hassle of running a CAT line out there...

If you could find a small heat pump for the insulated room you
> could keep it climate controlled to 50 degrees and probably be good to
> go assuming that you have adequate airflow in each computer case and
> if they're all together you may want some extra fans to clear the air
> out from behind the computers.

The garage has a air conditioner in the wall in the same side that is insulated - so keeping it
cool won't be a problem.

What is another issue for me - is componant failure. My OD'd linux box has a PSU thats going
out - as determined by the loud rythmic popping the PSU makes when its powered on. Had the
computer been out in the garage, and not in a location where I can monitor it physically... its
possible the PSU would have failed and perhaps taken out other parts of the computer
(mainboard, RAM, CPU, etc)

> If you want to be able to pipe the air into your house you could set
> up a system with fans in the front of the case blowing in fresh air
> and a dryer hose attached to where the fans in the back of the case
> blow out the hot air. You could then attach all the hoses at a central
> point probably some box with a fan blowing the air into an output hose
> to blow the air where ever you want. You could run the hose into the
> house in the winter to warm it and in the summer time disconnect the
> hose to the house and attach a hose that attaches to an exhaust fan to
> blow the air outside. A window or vent would be enough in the winter
> to cool the room and in the summer you could use a small air
> conditioner.
>
> Of course if you want to keep it simple just use the window and an AC
> unit for a manual climate control, much like you've been doing
> already.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck