Re: 5 speed Manual questions

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@enchantedbookstore.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 01:28:36 EST

I'm currently in the Spokane, WA area and I'm already pretty sure I'll
be doing some driving to find one I want. They're overpriced here,
especially due to the winter we've had. A 5 speed isn't vital, I
somewhat prefer them but I could easily live with an automatic in a
truck. Most of my experience is with the old Dodge 2.2/2.5L turbo cars,
where all the 5 speeds after 1986 could handle the power of modified
engine, so I thought the same might be true for the 5 speeds if I
happened to pick up a 5 speed V6 for cheap then drop in the 318 later,
which doesn't seem hard to do. This isn't any good if all I'm going to
do is detonate the tranny, which I've done before on another car before
I swapped in one of the later model ones. I've broken stuff before but
I don't much like it. I detonated a CV axle once accelerating onto the
freeway before. Part of it came out with enough force it ricocheted off
the pavement in front of the car and clanged off the roof. Doh.

I'm looking at Portland/Vancouver as my most likely source now. Seattle
is another possibility but it seems like I'd hit more traffic and even
worse ferry trips. Looks like I'll have about 3500-4000 to spend, so I
should hopefully find something decent and I can start posting about a
vehicle I actually HAVE... :)

MattB