Crankcase Breather Filter Replacement

From: Kurt Cypher (kcypher42.lists@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2009 - 13:38:30 EST

I just replaced the "crankcase breather filter" (or "breather element"
or any of several names I've seen for this same part) on my '97 V6
Dakota. All seemed to go well, but after I managed to muscle the new
one into place, I noticed that it seems loose to me. It doesn't
appear to be in danger of just popping out, but I can wiggle it
relatively easily by hand. The old one was pretty snug, with very
little movement (though that might've been corrosion).

Is this a cause for concern (as in, I broke something on the new
filter element or (heaven forbid) the cover I was installing it in),
or is it normal for this part to be loose in place?

Thanks,
Kurt