Re: RE: amsoil rep here?

From: Phillip Batson (pbatson68@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 17:17:10 EST

All your synthetics are going to cost more than the dino (obviously), but you get better longevity and lubrication for that price.

I couldn't tell you if one brand of full synthetic is better than another. Even when you look at Amsoil's webpage and their comparisons, is that little bit of difference between the different synthetics really going to make a huge difference? Probably not.

I liken it to buying a 2.8ghz computer (M1)or a 3.0ghz computer(Amsoil). Are you going to notice a *real world* difference between the two? Not likely. So buy what you are comfortable spending.

FYI, I have used full synthetic in my 2000 4x4 Dak from the beginning. Engine has over 120k on it now, and still runs like new. Maybe someday, I'll pop the valve covers and check how bad the buildup is, but I'd hazard a guess that its pretty clean.

The other thing I found is that if you have been running on dino oil, and switch over to synthetic, you may end up replacing the valve cover gaskets. I had to do this with an old chrysler van I had. Thing started leaking all over the place after I changed over. lol.

I think the dual filter would be a great addition as well. It would be interesting to see how much better the test results on that kind of system are vs the standard filter.