Re: Re: Dodge Ram Stuff Again

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Sat Apr 04 2009 - 22:10:54 EDT

>>Good info man - thanks. But I admit I always assumes rin and pinion's
>>were matched? I
automatically assumed I would need to change both. You mean to say there
are people who change
just the ring and then alter the pinion, vs replacement of the pinion?<<

The kit will come with the ring and pinion, but there is a pinion shaft that
lurks in your pumpkins as we speak. It's just a solid metal rod that holds
things together and where they're supposed to be. The larger Ring gear will
hit said shaft and be unable to turn unless you have a notch machined into
it to clear the huge 4.56 ring gear. There are pre-machined ones out there,
but I chose to have mine machined at the local shop. You have to disassemble
you rear to get to it. Getting one that's already notched will save you time
on your install, but may cost you even more $$. I'll try to find a pic a
notched shaft and shoot you a link...

-miggity