Re: Bolt Torque Question Bernd?

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Apr 12 2009 - 00:53:55 EDT

Kenneth M. Berntsen wrote:

> I've just replaced the driver side half shaft on my 2000 Dakota 4x4. To get the
> half shaft out I removed the 3 bolts that attach the upper ball join to the upper A
> arm. But I can not find anyting that tells me how tight to tighten them.
>
> The bolts are a 10.9 Grade and 9 or 10 mm thick.
>

> Kenneth M. Berntsen
> eMail - kenneth@berntsen.cc

Thats because the Factory Service Manuals were probably written to service that ball joint as
an entire control arm. I don't know if Chrysler supplies the ball joints themselves now, or if
they still sell them as a full control arm. The OEM units were rivited to the control arm - so
there is no torque spec because there were no bolts to tighten.

I would probably use the same torque spec as is listed for the CV axle bolts-to... nevermind...
2000 and newer daks dont have CV axles that bolt to a flange - then spline in directly to the
diff.... I'd say something around 40-50 foot lbs of torque for the ball joint nuts.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck