Re: Bolt Torque Question Bernd?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Apr 12 2009 - 01:03:58 EDT

"Kenneth M. Berntsen" <kenneth@berntsen.cc> wrote:

> I've just replaced the driver side half shaft on my 2000 Dakota 4x4. To get the
> half shaft out I removed the 3 bolts that attach the upper ball join to the upper A
> arm. But I can not find anyting that tells me how tight to tighten them.

> The bolts are a 10.9 Grade and 9 or 10 mm thick.

    I don't have any firsthand experience here, thought I would check
the FSM but it doesn't seem to be much help. I don't see a reference
to three bolts holding the upper ball joint to the A arm. The FSM
only mentions a single upper ball joint nut which gets 60lb-ft and a
cotter pin. The FSM mentions (two?) bolts that connect the A-arm to
the mounting bracket. These are torqued to 100lb-ft temporarily until
the ball joint and shock are installed and the supporting jack is
removed, then they are torqued to 165lb-ft.

    The same procedure is listed for '00 and '01.

    As far as generic torque values go, a 10.9 grade, 10mm x 1.25 bolt
would get 58lb-ft, unless it is a flanged bolt in which case the value
is 64 lb-ft.

    I dunno if that helps or just confuses things further, but there
it is. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-