Re: Dodge dealer employees check in.

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Apr 13 2009 - 14:07:38 EDT

Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:06, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, April 12, 2009 7:58 pm, Barry Oliver said:
>>>
>>> Check out this reply....  I wonder if I can get them to fly me out to CA...
>>
>> Do the California cars still get all the extra power-sucking smog control
>> junk?  Or have they forced uniform levels of power-sucking smog control junk
>> across all 50 states now?

> Nope, not all 50 states. But not just CA either. We get that in NY too.

   Yep, a few of the other sheeple states will blindly follow CA
into the abyss. The Jeep Liberty diesel was not available in CA, NY,
MA, ME or VT due to the idiot governments in those states following
the CARB standards for diesel fuel. So, I'd guess that those states
are probably following all of the CARB requirements, in which case if
there is extra emissions equipment involved or detuned PCMs, probably
it is the same in those other states as in CA. But, some states still
do set their own laws without looking to CA first, so whether or not
the CA version is different might be worth looking into.

   I'd hazard a guess though that sooner or later, the manufacturers
are just going to start making everything to CA specs to save costs,
if they haven't already. In ye olde days, where the extra emissions
stuff actually required a lot of extra equipment to be installed on
the vehicle, it made sense to create a version of the vehicle without
all that crap for the rest of the country to save on materials cost,
but if it comes down to something like a different program or
parameters in the PCM, it might get to the point where its cheaper to
just make the one PCM and install it in models for all states. I
dunno about that for sure, its just a guess.

--
                                          -Jon-