Re: Dome light question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 10:20:20 EDT

Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:
[...]
> The only way to get any light in the cab is to crank the headlight knob
> all the way to the left to force the dome light on. Nothing else turns
> on when I do this other than the (very dim) dome light. There is no
> overhead console or map lights in this truck.

> This is my friday, so I guess I'll be digging around the fuses on my day
> off...

   Since the light comes on with the switch, a fuse isn't the problem.
The fuse that protects the dome light (it probably protects other
items too) would protect the entire circuit, so if the fuse is out,
the dome light wouldn't work via any means.

   The switch provides a ground path for the dome light circuit. The
door pins provide alternate ground paths. If 'twere me, I wouldn't
waste any time checking fuses, I'd start with the door pins and the
releated wiring. (Take one of the pins out and see if the dome light
will work when you connect a jumper wire from the exposed door pin
wire to a known good ground; a piece of exposed metal under the dash,
a screw head, or run a wire to the negative battery terminal if you
need to.) If the light comes on, the problem is in the door pin; if
not, the problem is likely that the wire has become disconnected from
the dome light circuit somehow, either by breaking or being cut, or
perhaps a splice has corroded away. The wiring diagrams in the FSM
will be helpful here, as well as being able to indicate where any
splices might be. If you keep tracing the wire, you can check it at
various points by jumpering it to ground, and once the dome light
starts working, you know you've gone past the problem, and can begin
working back along the wire to locate it.

--
                                          -Jon-