Convertible dak mirror (was: Dome light question)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 13:23:18 EDT

(Changed subject so as to not hijack the original thread)

Don Rey <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jon wrote:
>>
>> Don,
>>
>>   On your 'vert, the dome light should be underneath (built into) the
>> rear-view mirror.
>>

> Huh that must have been optional. There's no wiring to my mirror. I've
> even had the dash wiring strewn across my lawn and I'm quite certain I
> never saw any cut or even unused wiring that goes around the
> windshield. I know maplight mirrors were offered in later Daks and
> have considered wiring one into mine.

   Interesting. I had assumed that all the 'verts got the mirror
light, since its obviously not possible to have the dome. Could be it
was part of some sort of convenience package though. It would be
interesting to get VIP reports on both of our trucks and see if there
is some sort of option to that effect on mine which is missing on
yours.

   My first thought was maybe somebody removed the mirror light and
put a normal rearview mirror in your Dak, but since you've already
said you had the wiring harness out and didn't see anything, that
seems to negate that possibility.

   I just checked my '90 FSM, and it refers to it as a "rear view
mirror with reading lamps" and also as a "lighted rear view mirror".
I also do not see anything in my convertible suppliment referencing
the mirror light, so, maybe it wasn't a special 'vert thing after all,
just a feature that could be ordered on any Dak. (I suppose its also
possible that this option wasn't available in 1989 - my FSM is for
1990) If you do have the wiring (if its not up above the windshield)
the connector for the mirror is a 3 conductor plug located in the left
side cowl. There's that plug at the left side of the cowl, and then
another right at the mirror itself.

> The 'vert does have the passenger foot light, activated by the door
> switches... which is just about good enough for finding the key you
> want when you're body is inverted in the passenger seat.

   Heh! :-) On the plus side, if you can dig up one of those mirrors
somewhere, it would be pretty simple to add it. Looks like its just 3
wires; one is a constant hot, another is your switched ground (from
the door pins / headlamp switch) and the third is a constant ground,
which is used for the ground path when you turn on the reading lamps
by using the switch on the mirror itself.

   The mirror lights aren't quite as bright as the dome light, but
certainly better than just the courtesy lamps in the footwell. :-)
Would be glad to show you at a BBQ or something sometime, (or I can
take pics and e-mail) if you are interested.

--
                                          -Jon-