Re: RE: Installed my "cold" air intake today

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 01:32:55 EDT

I'd think it would. Doesn't the 3.9L have the same air intake system as
the 5.2? It uses a standard 5 1/8" mounting surface. I know a lot of
3.9L folks swap a 5.2L throttle body in.

It does fit pretty tight, though. I'm going to go to Home Depot and
pick up a couple feet of ABS pipe and a rubber coupler and lengthen it a
bit. Right now it's putting a lot of downward force on the passenger
side of the air plenum/air hat. I keep hearing a slight hiss that's
either the AIS motor or the seal leaking between the air hat and the
throttle body. I think a longer rubber coupler might be sufficient to
get it a little further out and give it some more flexibility for engine
movement.

On your '99 the heat shield and everything would fit I'd think, which is
a plus. Mine probably gets plenty of hot air off the radiator. Even
the throttle body spacer would probably work as you have a '99 with the
proper thread pitch for the longer bolts, though I'd screw one in by
hand to be sure. If you plan on putting the spacer on, I'd probably get
another proper throttle body gasket as the one that comes with it is
cheesy plain brown cardboard.

MattB