Re: amp rating of cig lighter?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 00:41:30 EDT

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:

> I have 99 SLT with the 2 cig lighter ports. Ine is 100% on and the
> other is on and off with the key. Anyone have any idea what the
> practical amp draw I can get out of either of these before I start
> cooking wires?

    I don't know about the '99 but according to the '00 FSM, the
cigarette lighter uses 16 gauge wire and the power outlet uses 14
gauge. That would put the theoretical current limits at about 22 amps
for the cigarette lighter and 32 amps for the power outlet. However,
the cigarette lighter is protected by a 15A fuse and the power outlet
20A. So, your best bet is probably to use the power outlet which
should be good for 20A as long as nothing else is using that circuit.

    Anyhoo, you shouldn't need to worry about cooking anything, both
of those circuits are fused below the capacity of the wires and that
is going to dictate your upper limit. You may blow a fuse but that
would be the worst of it.

--
                                          -Jon-