was: R/T tires now Barry venting

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Apr 25 2009 - 15:54:38 EDT

Brian wrote:
> The only reason you can get away with that wide of a wire is because of the
> height of your sidewalls. A stock R/T would be pushing it to squeeze some
> 31's into the fenderwells on the front, but they'd fit fine on the rear.
> With the shorter sidewall, any decent tire shop won't mount anything wider
> than a 285 on a 9" rim.
>
> brian cropp

Yeah, I hate "decent" tire shops that try to tell me they won't do
something that I know for a fact works, and am willing to pay for. I
actually had a SEARS that refused to sell and install 2 new 325's they
had on clearance because their stupid tire book didn't list my truck in
it. Even when I pointed out that I was ALREADY USING that exact tire.

I get sooooo sick of the whole "it's because of the liability" argument
being used as a catch all for not doing anything... Like any tire shop
has ever been sued for putting wide tires on a truck before. I just had
a run in with this mentality [or lack thereof] today and ended up
getting boned because a stupid lady wouldn't listen to me.

At first I didn't understand what you were getting at about the
sidewalls, but now I do, and you are right, a 325/50r17, for example,
would require a wider rim because there would be less "pooch".