Re: Switches and Wiring

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 00:04:08 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Hehehe! Oops. :-) Actually, its not a huge deal, there's a
> cutout in the panel which allows you access. If you look right above
> the parking brake assembly, you'll see where there is a cutout in the
> inner skin of the cab. You will likely see a bundle of wires in there
> which run to the door switches, radio, etc. There's a matching cutout
> on the passenger side. Its not exactly the most convenient access in
> the world, but should be sufficient for you to be able to fish the
> wire back through. If all else fails, you can pull the wire up to the
> access hole, and run something like a stiff wire (coat hanger, safety
> wire, etc.) through the door plunger hole up to the access, and use
> that to pull the door plunger wire back through the hole.

Whew. Good to know, thanks. I guess that'll be yet another project on
my next few days off. I was thinking I'd have to take the fender off or
something.

> No idea here, unfortunately. :-( I poked around under the dash of
> both my '90 and my '96 but didn't see anything that looked like either
> of those. Could they have been part of a security system or brake
> controller? Based on the inline fuse holder and the various
> aftermarket connectors visible in your pic, it looks like the wiring
> has been worked on a bit. Do the connectors and their wiring appear
> to be factory? The only thing I could suggest would be to see if you
> can trace it back to wherever it goes. Does it seem to be spliced
> into the factory harness or is it actually a part of the factory
> harness?
>
> What's really bugging me is that connector with the "50" on the
> side looks really familiar, but I can't seem to place it! Kinda looks
> like an AT style motherboard connector, maybe that's what I'm thinking
> of.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe it was for a brake controller or something,
but there's only the standard bumper ball, no class 3/4 hitch at all.
The blue wire is for the (non-functional) fog lights someone installed
and removed the lower airdam to install. I'm just going to unplug it
and use it as a fish wire to pull through the firewall for the Hella
500's I bought. The little red male/female connectors I have no idea
what are for, but there's a little metal toggle switch next to the fog
light switch on the dash that I suspect is related. With my luck it was
for nitrous or something. :p

I think the source of my lighting problems is the time delay relay in
the fuse panel, considering the dome light still didn't come on with the
new switch. I was looking at the FSM wiring diagrams and that seems
pretty central considering the courtesy light, dome light and the glow
ring around the key are all affected. Once I fish that wire out that's
my next troubleshooting step.

Thanks for your help,

MattB