Re: 97-04 2wd Dak Front Wheel Bearings

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 13:07:25 EDT

Phillip Batson wrote:

> Are there any precautions that need to be taken into consideration if you have ABS? I saw different types available
> on Rockauto depending on if you have ABS or not. Looks like there is an additional piece behind the main hub.
> Does that come off with the hub?
> How much of a p.i.t.a. is it to remove the hubs? Any special tools or size tools (ie. 20"wheel puller) needed?
> How do you know if the bearings need replacement?

I havn't pulled a hub off a Gen III 2wd before - si I can't give you a specific set of
instructions for changing it. You might need a little physical persuasion (hammer) to remove
the hub from the spindle, the nut is the only thing that holds the hub unit on the spindle.
That, some rust perhaps and being snugly fit to the spindle itself.

I didn't take a close enough look at the hub, but (assuming its a 2wd) pressing the bearing in
and out of the hub (which I still think is not worth bothering with) should not be hampered by
the ABS ring thats is on the hub.

Good indications the bearings are shot, noise, howing, grinding while driving. A physical test
would be to lift the suspect wheel off the ground.... with one hand on the top and bottom of
the tire - rock it up and down and see if there is any play. When the drivers front hub failed
on my Ram, the sucker was REALLY sloppy when I pulled it off. You can also try pulling the
wheel off and spinning the hub by hand - any notchy feeling, clicking sounds, spinning too
tight, or spinning really loose... good signs. A healthy bearing will turn snooth, with a
small amount of resistance, caused primarily by the seals.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck