Re: Re: Taurus Fan (long)

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 17:02:27 EDT

I've learned a few things about the Taurus fan:

1.) Use the one from the 90-95 ** 3.8L V6 ** Taurus or Lincoln Mark
VIII with the 5.0L V8. These are 2 speed fans with 3 wires. The
3.0L, single speed 2 wire ones aren't as strong.

2.) Supposedly this sucker pulls ~40 amps running on high and has
spikes up to 130 amps for less than a second when starting. You need
a good alternator if you're going to run it on "high". Which is why I
was happy to find I have the 120amp alt instead of the 90, especially
with the draw the Hella 500's I have will put on it.

3.) Because of the amp draw, you need a relay that can handle it - the
typical 30-40 amp relay won't cut it, plus an inline fuse/breaker/fuse
link to match for safety. Most people are using a 75 amp Bosh relay.
Anything less people have problems with relays/wires melting... eek.

4.) Supposedly it pulls 2500cfm on low and 4500cfm on high. Either
way everyone agrees it pulls more than the black magic fan even on low
speed, and has less problems with burning out (which seems to be a
problem on the newer BM fans). Here's a (Non-Dodge) thread here
showing temp results from testing between the BM fan and the Taurus:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=73400

5.) Rockauto last I looked has these on sale brand new for "wholesaler
closeout" for $42, which is much much less than the overpriced Black
magic fans.

6.) The mounting depth is 4.6-5" deep including shroud. So it's not a
slimline fan at all. If you trimmed the shroud I bet it would be 1/2"
or so shallower, but you'd lose some efficiency of airflow. The '97+
guys tend to have 1/2" of clearance to the water pump fan threads.
We'll see what happens when I try it in my '95.

I've ordered a variable speed fan controller with a 40/50 amp relay,
but that won't cut it, so I'll have to use the fan controller to
trigger a 75 amp relay. The nice thing about this one is that it has
an A/C switch so I can make it kick on whenever the A/C is on. I
think I'll put a 75 amp automotive breaker on it too so I can reset it
easily instead of trying to replace a fuse link or find a 75 amp fuse
locally. The relay runs $20-30 and the breaker is $30, so the cost of
the wiring is way more than the fan itself.

I have no idea how well it will fit on the radiator in the 1st/2nd gen
Dakotas yet -- all the writeups I've seen are on 97+ models. I'll
take some pics and let everyone know when I finally mount it when I
get the $$$ to order the rest of the parts -- my wife and father in
law broke my Minivan so I've got $$$ going out on that. :(

I'm a little concerned about overflow bottle mounting, I might just
put the stock shroud back on.

Supposedly benefits are getting 1-2mpg better fuel economy, less load
on the water pump bearings and the serpentine belt, colder A/C (if you
wire it so it kicks on when the AC is on), especially when sitting in
traffic, and the engine revs nicer. I bet on a 5 speed this would be
like lightening the flywheel since you're taking so much weight off
the rotational load the crank. Also no Cessna-style roar when you
first start the truck when the clutch locks up, and a smoother idle.

Some also say +10hp, but I can only see this happening when the engine
is hot enough for the clutch to engage, and I don't know how much more
power the alternator sucks with an extra 40 amp load.

Some useful info is in the below article from F*rd Muscle (I know... I
know...) for some pics/info and part numbers for the Bosh relay:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

I think the only reason we have mechanical fans is because a fan with
a viscous clutch is cheaper than a fan, wiring, and a bunch of relays.
Saving a couple bucks a car is a dream for beancounters, who usually
drool over saving 15 cents a car.

I guess we should just be happy that Ford liked to design cars in the
late '80s and early '90s that had next to no front end airflow. ;)

MattB