Re: RE: RE: Hot Hot Hot

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 19:22:48 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> I'm not familiar with that particular o-ring, but unless its
> something really weird/special, most hardware stores have a selection
> of them in all different sizes; if you can just replace the o-ring
> it'd cost a fraction of what a new sensor would.

If I remember right they're pretty beefy on the sensor itself. What
worries me is that it has an adapter with another o-ring too for the
speedometer adapter. See the FSM photo here:

http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/speedsensor.jpg

Ma Mopar likes to use these "thick" (for lack of a better term)
o-rings. Last time I looked for an o-ring it was for the (plastic)
inlet pipe for the water pump that slid into the block where the water
pump mates on my Neon. A Lowes o-ring worked in that situation, but
barely... I wish I had the part number guide for the Dakota like I have
for the Neon, then I'd just look it up and order it at the same time as
I order the lower rad hose. I could ask the parts jockey to look it up
but then you're at the mercy of how experienced they are. I guess I'll
end up pulling the adapter and the sensor once I get the proper tool to
drain the t-case, then go to Lowes some weekend and crossing my fingers.

What's weird is that Rockauto and Summit have two different types of
"Speed sensors" that look completely different. Weird.

MattB