Re: Bad Dakota Weekend

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 18:59:21 EDT

Don Rey wrote:
> It can leak through the bolt threads.... kinda makes sense to go
> around the inside.

No doubt. I wasn't thinking. I was too busy being delirious from the
weather in this town going from 55 degree high temps to 85-90 degrees in
the shade literally overnight, I'm just not acclimated to it yet. ;)
Sitting out in the hot sun all day with grease and dirt raining down on
you and skid plates crashing into concrete in an enclosed space can make
a man do stupid things. This is my only excuse. ;)

>> 3.) Either the valve covers are leaking worse than I thought, or
>> either the rear main seal or something else has a slow oil leak at the
>> back of the engine.
>>

> Check your oil pressure sender (aka oil pressure switch). I thought I
> had a valve cover leak.... replaced the gaskets, the leak got worse.
> So I thought I had a rear main seal leak... I figgerd I'd wait till it
> blew up on me. Well it did... kinda. Except the rear main seal was
> fine. Turns out the oil pressure sender was sending me subtle hints in
> the form of a growing oil leak. One day the seal in there burst and it
> gushed a couple quarts of oil before I realized the problem. What a
> mess. Sure beat replacing the rear main though.

That sucker must be pretty well hidden behind the motor. It's such a
slow leak that the oil level hasn't dropped below full in 2 months...
it's just enough to make the underside of the truck look wet. I know
the sensor you refer to though, from the pictures on rockauto it's the
same one infamous for leaking on the Neon too.

> Hmm... I solved that problem somehow... can't remember how. I'll get back to ya

I'll solve it at Harbor Freight when I get some money again... with a
wife, 2 little girls and 3 Chrysler products all over 10 years old in my
"fleet", poor is a state I'm used to. ;) Still cheaper than new car
payments I guess.

> "If it ain't leakin it's outta oil." I wouldn't rebuild it for a mere
> leak... but that's me. In fact, I wouldn't rebuild it till it breaks.
> Why shell out big $$ for something that might be a problem? Keep an
> eye on the fluid level and you may never have to rebuild it. It's a
> pretty good unit (plus, junkyards have them if you do blow yours up)

I have skid plates. It's nice to have unless something is leaking and
you have to refill it regularly. It might just be the o-ring on the
speed/distance sensor leaking if I'm lucky.
> Now there ya go! You'll find it's not all about your dog dying and
> your truck breaking and your wife leaving! It's good stuff!

I live in eastern WA near the Idaho border -- there's plenty of country
music around. I had to listen to it on the school bus every day for
years. I used to have to stick cotton balls in my ears when I boarded
to catch the blood escaping from listening to it for extended periods
(j/k). I don't think I'm going to change now. :)

MattB