Re: Re: Re: Tranny fluid capacity - reprise

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jun 09 2009 - 12:13:14 EDT

Tom Coulter <metalshop@optonline.net> wrote:
[...]
> Regarding Ray's comment:
> "For a lot less money use this... http://tinyurl.com/B-M-drain-plug You can
> probably find them at Autozone, NAPA or Advance Auto Parts as well."

> I'd say this: as a machinist, I'd be very reluctant to trust a kit like
> this that instructs to bore & tap a hole in the thin pan wall. A much
> better approach (imho) would be to just obtain a suitable plug (3/8" - 1/2"
> dia.) and make a threaded boss to accept the plug. Then I'd simply weld the
> boss to a bored hole in the pan. This enables a very strong thread and
> ensures that the plug doesn't protrude into the pan (to possibly interfere
> w/ whatever). But that's just me ...

    The B&M kit doesn't require tapping - as you rightly acknowledged,
tapping a hole in a sheet metal pan would be an excersize in futility.
If you double check the description, you'll notice that it only says
you need to drill a hole - not tap it. Basically, you just drill a
hole, the inner half of the kit along with a gasket goes inside the
pan and you install the supplied nut on the outside threads. As you
tighten the nut, the gasket is compressed , sealing off the hole. The
included 1/8 NPT plug can then be installed in the inner threads. You
do need to be aware of what is inside the pan, but clearance is
generally not an issue, and it should be installed in a flat section.

    I like these kits even better than welding - welding on thin sheet
metal can be tricky - the kits seal great and there's no danger of
burning through when welding. (Plus, this might just be me, but I've
not had great luck with creating leak-free welds.) :-)

    FYI - I've installed a few of these kits as sensor bungs. The
drain plug is 1/8 NPT which is also a common temp sender size. I
installed these drain plug kits in the oil pan and tranny pan of my
Barracuda for oil and trans temp gauges - I just stuck the senders in
the drain plug kit instead of the supplied plug.

> Two final questions:
> When the pan is dropped, must a new gasket be used when the pan is
> reinstalled? (Maybe it comes w/ a new filter?)

   Yep, you'll need to use a new gasket, and most filters do come with
the gasket. (You'll need to make sure the old gasket is cleaned off
also.) One thing you might want to check on though - and maybe
someone with more experience here can chime in - I think there is a
rubber gasket available which is supposed to be much better than the
cork ones which usually come with a replacement filter. The rubber
ones might even be reusable? (not sure)

> Do I gather that once the pan is reinstalled, the tranny is filled from the
> dip stick port?

   Yep!

--
                                          -Jon-