Re: Almost back in a Dak

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 27 2009 - 21:44:30 EDT

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 19:53, Matt Brenneke<brenneke@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!  I'm looking to get back in a Dakota after a several year hiatus (was
> driving 40000 mi/yr and couldn't afford the gas), and I was looking for a
> little advice.
>
> First of all, I'm looking for a used Dakota, because new prices have gone
> insane! I bought a new 2004 SXT for $16k 5 years ago, now the cheapest new I
> can find is $27k!
>
> That rant aside, I've found a 2005 ST (basic 3.7L V6, 2WD) with only 2880
> miles(!), and a 2003 SLT Quad Cab/5.9L V8/4WD/loaded with 80000 miles for
> about the same price that I'm trying to decide between.  So I'm looking for
> thoughts from the list on which way to go.

Are you sure that '03 is a 5.9L 4x4? I don't think that combination
was available. I thought the only way to get a 5.9 in a QC was 2WD,
and even then only for a couple years.

> Do the 5.9L V8s hold up well under high millage?  If I go for the loaded
> older vehicle I'd likely push it to at least 200,000 miles in the next 6-7
> years.  Are the engine and transmission likely to hold up that long under
> mostly highway miles?

My father's '00 Durango w/ the 5.9 has held up pretty well. He's got
over 80K on it and the engine and tranny have been solid, even through
several tens of thousands of miles of towing his travel trailers with
it. He's had a rear diff leak, and a couple other items, but some of
them may have been brought on by a lack of driving in the last couple
years (the Durango has been retired from towing duty since the Ram
came on the scene, with a couple exceptions).