Almost back in a Dak

From: Matt Brenneke (brenneke@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 27 2009 - 19:53:47 EDT

Hello! I'm looking to get back in a Dakota after a several year
hiatus (was driving 40000 mi/yr and couldn't afford the gas), and I
was looking for a little advice.

First of all, I'm looking for a used Dakota, because new prices have
gone insane! I bought a new 2004 SXT for $16k 5 years ago, now the
cheapest new I can find is $27k!

That rant aside, I've found a 2005 ST (basic 3.7L V6, 2WD) with only
2880 miles(!), and a 2003 SLT Quad Cab/5.9L V8/4WD/loaded with 80000
miles for about the same price that I'm trying to decide between. So
I'm looking for thoughts from the list on which way to go.

I'm leaning towards the like-new basic model just because I'm probably
still going to drive a lot and my wife likes the newer body style, but
I'm concerned by how few miles it has. Should I be worried about
seals being dried out and random problems popping up if the truck sat
unused for a couple years? (Dealer says previous owner was a old man
who drove it very little, then had a stroke so his family sold it back).

Do the 5.9L V8s hold up well under high millage? If I go for the
loaded older vehicle I'd likely push it to at least 200,000 miles in
the next 6-7 years. Are the engine and transmission likely to hold up
that long under mostly highway miles?

Does it matter which way I go since I'm definitely getting back in a
Dakota either way? :-)

-Matt